Training Update ...

It's been a while so I thought it might be time for a training update.

I had a great training week last week! I bounded through my planned runs ( well, I sort of felt like I bounded anyway, just go with it! ).  I even included my scheduled strength training on Tuesday.

My longest run of the week was on Saturday.  I even had a training partner for this one.  I've never had a training partner, particularly for a longer run.  It was my sister so maybe that's why I didn't feel too bad!  We managed to talk our way through the first 5km ... until we got a little misdirected ( I did not say we were lost .. ) ... then we talked a little less but I was really happy with our 12km.

I have started including a run with Mr 7 on Sunday afternoons while Mr FitMum does his long runs with Miss 11.  Mr 7 scoots along on his bike and I try to keep up!  It's kind of like tempo training ... 

By Sunday night I was starting to feel the effects of a few more kilometres run over the last week .. and possibly not enough stretching.  No real soreness, just some stiff hips.

I decided to give my legs a break from running yesterday and did a strength type circuit instead.  Here is what I did ... Each exercise was done for 45 seconds with a 15 second rest between. 

Kettlebell swings
Jump onto Bosu ( a bit of extra stability training )
Push press
Lunge with Single arm Row
Single leg glute bridges on Bosu ( working on my glutes and hamstrings )  
Ab exercise .. leg raises

Repeat 3 times ...

Fast forward to this morning when I am struggling to get out of bed and walk around after I injured my hamstring .. the other one this time ... whilst doing some high jump drills with Miss 11 on a local oval.  All rather innocuous really, I few strides, then a few more a bit faster until I step on some uneven ground and oops there goes my leg.

The physio has advised that I not run for a week and just focus on some upper body strength, presumably to keep my mind off the fact that I cannot run even though I have entered a half marathon whose date is only 9 weeks away! I'm not even allowed to go for a walk .. it hurts to walk too fast and it doesn't look very pretty either!

Apparently I will not lose much fitness as I have a great base ... what about if I lose my mojo?  I'm not sure if I had a great base of that! 

Maybe this has been sent to make me stronger?  I hope I will be stronger because I was just starting to feel like I was getting into a great training routine. You will note that my strength circuit had my glute and hamstring exercises included!

In other related news, I entered the half marathon in Melbourne later this year! 

But I think my focus right now might just be on getting my legs moving again in the next week or so and see if I can get my mojo back!

How is your training going? 
Have you had to have time off lately for an injury that has really put you in a bit of a spin?


2 comments:

Liz N said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Bugger to hear about your hamstring, Vicki :) Sending healing vibes your way !

Kek said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Ooh, I love lunge/row combos. Must throw that into my own training again...

I'm struggling at the moment too, after Sunday's suspension training effort. My legs aren't too bad (let's not mention the glutes though), but my ABS...ouch! And of course today, I had the coughs and sneezes, so it was a case of "ah-choo! Oww!" coming from my desk all day. ;)

Bugger about the hammie. I've had more injuries than I can count and hate having to take time off, but it has to be done. :(