Kids snacks ... Carrot and Sultana Muffins

As a mum to 2 pretty active kids, I quite often hear "Mum, I'm hungry, what can I have to eat?". 

And I know that this is something that just about every other mum out there hears!  So just like every other mum, I'm always on the lookout for snacks for the kids that are not laced with sugar and salt. 

I know, fruit is a fantastic option .. or it would be if my kids ate more than just a banana or an apple .. some watermelon if I really push the issue. 

I'm spending loads of time searching the internet for recipes and ideas for kids snacks.  This recipe is one that I have found that I like .. not too high in sugar and fat but sweet enough for me to be able to get the kids to eat them without too much fuss! 

I have changed it slightly and replaced the walnuts with sultanas as my kids aren't so big on nuts in their muffins.  I'm going to do some more experimenting over the next few batches to see what other changes I can make!   Oh and it's got some vegies too!  Bonus!

Carrot and Sultana Muffins

2 cups Self Raising Flour, sifted                                     
1/2 teaspoon BiCarbonate of Soda                                           
1/2 cup brown sugar                                                                         
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon                                                               
1/2 cup sultanas                                                                       
2 carrots, peeled and grated                                                          
1 cup milk                                                                      
2 eggs, lightly beaten                                                         
2 tablespoons canola oil                                                           

Preheat oven to 200C.  Lightly grease a 12 hole 1/2 cup capacity muffin pan ( I use little cupcake cases ).
Combine flour, bicarb soda, sugar and cinnamon in a large bowl.  Stir in sultanas and carrot.  Make a well in the centre.
Combine milk, egg and oil in a jug then pour into well.  Stir with a metal spoon until just combined.  Spoon batter into muffin cases until 2/3 full. 
Bake for 18 - 20 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.

I sometimes heat them up for the kids and dress them up a bit by putting a swish of cream cheese over the top.

Enjoy!

Fit Mum x   



2 comments:

Samantha said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Mmmmm...I love muffins! I'll have to add this to my list of recipes to try!

Steve C said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Google just led me to this recipe - looks great & can't wait to try it out :)